Friday, August 22, 2008

More work, demo goodness, movies, and the blu-ray's keep coming...

Last Sunday I decided (for some insane reason) that a full time job wasn't enough, so I auditioned for a part time gig. I got a job at the Ravenwood Manor the 'haunted island' at Watson Park. It only runs through the month of October, but sounds like it will be a lot of fun.


I tried the Pure demo on the 360 and it looks incredible! I'm not a big fan of ATV racing, but I've heard people talking about it on various podcast so I decided to try it out. The demo offers a tutorial, then a 3 lap race on the Mount Garda (Italy) course (you can read TeamXbox's impressions of the demo). Star Wars Force Unleashed demo (360/PS3) was put up yesterday, as was The Last Guy demo for the PS3. I've downloaded both but haven't got a chance to play them yet.


I caught the sneak of the House Bunny Wednesday night. I went in thinking probably most of the comedy would be dumbed down (after seeing the trailer), but was surprised at how funny it actually was. I saw Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants 2 on Thursday afternoon. I caught the original when I was working at the theater (somebody has to screen them) as it wasn't something I would normally see, but turned out that it was quite entertaining. I haven't read the 4 book series of the same name, and thought it was funny that the second movie ended the way it did. After doing some internet research, it seems that SotTP2 movie actually follows the 4th book in the series (which would explain the ending...) with some highlights thrown in from books 2, and 3. Overall I enjoyed it just as much as the first one, plenty of comedy and drama throughout to keep you hooked.


I've now worked through the second wave of Hollywood rentals (over at the left) all of which were really good. The standout this time was Street Kings a movie I must have totally missed in theaters as I don't even recall it coming out (April 11th according to IMDB). It has a big name cast list, and plays out as a really violent police drama not surprisingly as it comes from David Ayer who also directed Harsh Times (another violent LA based drama), and was writer/producer on Training Day. I picked it up the other day because there wasn't anything else jumping out a me, and I'm glad I did.
The second best would be Vantage Point although about the fifth time through the story (the first ~15 minutes are retold from different peoples point of view) I was getting a little bored. If you can hang on until the wrap-up at the end you'll be treated to the an excellent car chase (reminded me of Italian Job) and conclusion.

1 comment:

Doogie said...

Yeah. Street Kings lasted about 2 weeks at the theatres. Not shocked you missed it. :)