Monday, May 12, 2008

WiiWares... and racing Wii style.

The new WiiWare line up hit today, Nintendo's 'answer' to 360 Live Arcade games perhaps? Wired's Game|Life blog has a great launch guide up and impressions of the first 6 U.S. titles. I'm still not a fan of Nintendo's virtual console pricing although I guess the pricing for the WiiWare titles isn't as bad seeing these are new titles not available anywhere else, and the fact that I was able to pick up a couple WiiPoint cards at Wal-Mart on clearance will make me feel a little better.

Reading Wired's write ups, and trolling some forums it seems that LostWinds ($10) and Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: My Life as a King ($15) (any more references as FFCC:MLAAK) are the stand outs in this batch. LostWinds is a side-scrolling platform game where you use the Wiimote to control the wind that helps move your character or change the environment to help him through obstacles. It's been compared to Kirby's Canvas Curse a game I really enjoyed on the DS, and will probably be my first purchase.

The other one that caught my eye before I read any impressions was FFCC:MLAAK based in the Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles universe. The thing that got me was it's not really a conventional RPG, it's more of a Simcity style of game. You take over a deserted/ghost town, and are charged with repopulating and keeping the residents happy. I guess its pretty good and already has DLC available to add-on for later levels.


I finally got around to trying out some MarioKart Wii and it was pretty cool! I played through a few Grand Prix sets with the Wiimote (sans wheel holder), and a few more with Wiimote & Nunchuk. I felt I had a lot more control using the Wiimote/Nunchuk combo although it did lack some of the 'fun' that came from using just the motion control (even without the plastic wheel housing). I've heard that the GameCube controller works really well too, but haven't had a chance to try it yet. Now I'm trying to snag a used copy somewhere (because I'm cheap), but haven't found one yet. :(


In a semi-related note I found that Nintendo released a new GameCube controller in Japan (yes... new) in Wii white. Unfortunately its not a Wavebird, but this one almost has a 10 ft. cord (unlike the older model GC controllers that were about 6 ft.) plus you get rumble (which must be important SONY added it back into their controllers). :) No word on a U.S. release, but the import is about ~$35 with shipping.

No comments: